Kale. It's everywhere. It's on t-shirts, sweatshirts, it's all over health blogs and it's in every green juice. We can't seem to escape it!
Photo inspo: pinterest
While kale is extremely nutritious - packed with fiber, iron, calcium and vitamins, there is a downside. For some of us, the large amounts of fiber in kale is more difficult to digest and for that reason I avoided it completely until recently.
After some Google searches here and there, I came across the "massaging kale" methodology, which I know is not new by all means, but I never implemented it into my cooking so it was new to me. By "massaging the kale" with oil, the fibers in the vegetable break down and make it easier to digest. Ta-da! Since using this method, I have a whole new appreciation for kale and have jumped back on the bandwagon.
>>> Check out my Simple Kale Salad recipe below <<<
2 cups of kale (rinsed and removed from stem)
1/2 cup of chickpeas
1/2 of an avocado
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1/2 of a lemon's juice
1 tablespoon of raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon of crumbled goat cheese (or more! LOVE goat cheese!)
1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
2.5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of hemp seeds
Handful of goji berries
(Makes 1-2 servings)
1. Massage the kale with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a bowl (make sure to not miss any leaves!)
2. Heat a sauce pan with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil
3. Add the chickpeas along with all the spices (cumin, turmeric and salt & pepper to taste)
4. Let the chickpeas cook for about 5-10 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them :)
5. Once they are done, add them with the kale along with your avocado, goat cheese and sunflower seeds
6. Add your optional items: goji berries and hemp seeds
7. Top off your salad with your last bit of olive oil, lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste
8. Mix and enjoy!
Seeing as I'm now a turned kale fan, I'd love to hear about any kale recipes you have! Kale chips? Smoothies? Stews? Pestos? Email us at email@example.com. Thank you!
Sending lots of love & light,
A self empowerment blog by Ryan & Erica. Made for women discovering their strongest, most authentic selves.
about the photographer
@everyday on instagram
EVERYDAY 2016 BY GOLIVEHQ.CO | PHOTOGRAPHY BY BEN SASSO