We are being presented with July’s New Moon in Cancer this Monday, the 4th and in honor of this New Moon I thought I would share with you all how I was introduced to my New Moon ritual and how you can begin yours all on your own!
New Moons represent beginnings, the start of something anew, a fresh start. In October of 2015, I was invited to a New Moon Circle by Danielle Beinstein who is a co-founder, along with Paula Mallis, of this gathering in Venice, CA.
I originally reached out to Danielle for life guidance and mentorship. I really admired her non-traditional career path and was seeking spiritual support as I continued down my “what the heck do I want to do with my life” journey. We met over coffee one morning in Santa Monica and I had no idea that, that moment would lead me down a life-changing path.
I’ve always been so fascinated with astrology and the moon phases, but it never occurred to attend an actual New Moon ritual with a group of women - I didn’t even know they existed.
October 13th, 2015 came and I went to my first New Moon Circle.
Alone, scared, nervous, uncertain and intimidated - I wasn’t sure what to expect. I wasn’t sure if I would be “cool” enough or “spiritual” enough for the these hip women in Venice. My ego became monstrous, trying to convince me of ridiculous things:
“Who are YOU to come to something like this? You don’t even know what a New Moon ritual is. You aren’t going to be aligned with these women. You don’t know anyone.”
It went on and on...
I didn’t listen to it.
I heard it. Acknowledged it, but let it pass right through me.
I knew that my ((soul)) was drawn to this realm for a reason and that I was meant to be apart of something larger.
When I opened the door, immediately
a swirl of peace poured through me,
serenity spilled over me,
comfort continued through me.
I realized all of the women were there for the same reasons that I was. We were all seeking support, connection and encouragement. We were all looking for a safe, sacred space.
We began the circle with a grounding meditation, which lead us into the present moment. Danielle then embarked us on an astrological journey, explaining the positions of the planets and how that might be influencing us energetically and why some emotions might be heightened than others.
We shared stories and listened to one another. We set our intentions, planted our seeds that we wished to be manifested into our lives.
Our circle ended with another meditation and a blessing of our intentions while holding hands with one another - sealing our women’s circle with trust.
There is something so unbelievably powerful when a group of women come together - our intentions are magnified to the Universe and our support for one another is amplified to women everywhere.
Since October 2015, I haven’t missed a New Moon ritual.
It’s an essential part of my life now.
When I’m not able to attend Danielle and Paula’s gathering, I still set my intentions and perform my own personal ritual wherever I am - at home, in a hotel room or even on an airplane - no excuses!
So, today, I’ve written 7 simple steps for you to get started on creating your own New Moon ritual by yourself or with a group of girlfriends.
Photo Inspiration: Pinterest
Steps To Start A New Moon Circle
1. Create a sacred space. This can be a corner in your home, a place by the window or even in your bedroom, wherever you can be at one with yourself with no distractions. A sacred space can be just that - you, your journal and a quiet spot. It doesn't need to have anything else, but if you would like to add a little more pizazz I recommend adding the following if you feel called to do so:
Tips for Creating A Sacred Space:
-Make it personal and add items to your sacred space that light you up - crystals, plants, pictures, candles, incense etc.
- Avoid all digital items in your space, unless you're using your phone for music! We'll make that an exception :)
-Keep it clean. Cleanse your sacred space with sage, palo santo or frankincense when you feel that it is energetically clogged.
- Let it evolve. You do not need to fill your space with a ton of objects right away. Use your intuition and add items when you feel the time is right or when you have collected items you think suit your space.
2. Ground yourself with a short meditation. I always resort to this one on our site!
3. Read about the astrological energies - This is optional. I find tuning into the placement of the planets and learning more about why I might be feeling a certain helps me release blocks and built up energy before setting new intentions. After all, a New Moon is about starting anew, starting fresh :) Mystic Mamma, Forever Conscious, Astro Twins are all wonderful resources.
4.Take time to reflect. If you’re with a group of women, take some time to share stories with one another. If you’re alone, take time to internally reflect. How are you feeling? How is this New Moon affecting you right now? What would you like to manifest?
5. Write your intentions in your journal. Turn on some nurturing music and write 8-10 intentions (my favorite to listen to while writing my intentions is anything by Nirinjan Kaur - her voice is divine and so soothing).
Tips for Writing Intentions:
-Remember to write your intentions in the present tense, as if it is already happening to you.
-Use descriptive words and feel the emotion with each intention. For example, with Danielle and Paula’s circle we always begin our intentions with, “I gracefully finding myself...” Here is one of mine for example: “I am gracefully finding myself feeling enlightenment, light and joy as I continue down my spiritual journey. I dedicate every morning to journaling, meditation, reflection and self love. I care about myself enough to give 30 minutes everyday to my ritual. I am at peace with myself.”
-Go for it! Don’t hold back. Go big or go home and listen to your heart. Don’t judge yourself on whatever it is you want to manifest into your life: a dog, a man, a woman, a purse, love, happiness, money, new workout clothes. These are your intentions, just remember the emotional reason behind your intention. How do you want to feel?
6. Close and seal your ritual with a blessing or another meditation.
7. Sleep with your intentions underneath your pillow. Doing this amplifies your intentions as the Universe works its magic the night of the New Moon :)
Photo Inspiration: Pinterest
There are SO many intentions I have manifested into my life and I am forever grateful for being introduced to New Moon rituals. I hope by sharing this divine information with you all, that you are able to do so as well.
If you have any questions, thoughts, or any doubts, please, reach out to me! I love talking about this and would love to be of service to anyone of you beautiful souls! Xo
Please comment below.
Sending lots of love & light - Erica
A self empowerment blog by Ryan & Erica. Made for women discovering their strongest, most authentic selves.